....To Santiago

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Preparations

Starting this blog is part of my preparations for a pilgrimage to Spain to walk the famous, ancient Way of St. James, known as El Camino de Santiago de Compostela.  There are many caminos, actually, and I will begin my unique camino the moment I step out my front door with my backpack and with my intention.

The camino that most people are familiar with is the Camino Frances, the French Way, which is the road that my pilgrimage companion, Stuart, and I will be taking in late September of this year.  Pilgrims on the Camino Frances traditionally begin the Way from the  small picaresque village of St. Jean Pied-de-Port at the foot of the Pyrenees in France.  The first day out is a trial by fire, walking straight up into
the mountains.  But most of the 800 km path to the city of Santiago is flat and wide and, happily, filled with pilgrims.  We expect to reach Santiago by the beginning of November, hopefully in time for All Saints Day.  From there, if we are able, we may walk on to Finisterre, the 'edge of the world' where Spain meets the Atlantic Ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment